The track record of major programme delivery is not good. Many programmes fail to deliver the benefits of their original business case. At a Socia dinner in July a group of Exec and Non-Exec Directors debated some of the reasons why – and came up with 5 lessons for Board members to keep front of mind.
- Good process can’t compensate for poor leadership
- Perfect alignment between incentives and objectives is rare
- Judging progress from paper reports is only getting half the story
- Change in inevitable – so access to strategic decision making is vital at every stage
- Evaluating the quality of programme leadership is just as important as evaluating the plan
More details are in the attached Programme Boards and leadership note